Well, it's been an interesting couple of days, with lots of new people, and lots of new questions and answers. There's a lot of great stuff to choose from, but I'm going to have to go with Yahu Skaist's extremely important question about the danger of people using a website like mi.yodeya in place of a rabbi.
Shalom and Alex jumped in quickly, affirming that such is neither the intended purpose of mi.yodeya, nor an appropriate use thereof. I wrote up my thoughts on why I think that mi.yodeya is not too dangerous and indicated that I plan to seek rabbinic guidance on this. Finally, Barry Frank suggested technique for avoiding the problem.
UPDATE: I spoke to an internationally-respected rabbi who has experience and interest in Internet issues. He generally approved of the approach we're already taking, provided that we make sure that the disclaimers are prominent enough to be seen by everyone, and that we make it clear that while discussions of Jewish life naturally include Halachic content, people should go to a rabbi, not a website, for actual Halachic advice (my paraphrasing). I think we're pretty much fulfilling his advice already, but I'm going to review our disclaimers and consider beefing them up. Also, though the rabbi didn't bring it up, I'm seriously considering implementing some sort of flagging mechanism like the one Barry suggested. (See also my comment there.)
QotW features a question (with its answers) whose activity in the past week I particularly like. The choice is based on my own subjective judgement, but I take mi.yodeya voting into account, and I welcome nominations.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment